The importance of BMS in Tubular battery needs to understand in this blog. When the user uses two or more tubular Lead Acid batteries in an Inverter/UPS of high Ah value, like 100 Ah and above, then after six months to 1 year, the imbalance between these two batteries starts building up. As the Inverter/UPS tries to charge the 24 V system to 28.8 Volts, one of the batteries will be imbalanced. The total of 28.8Volt will remain the same, and the individual battery may reach 15.4 Volts. Other batteries might remain at 13.4, resulting in an overcharge of the battery, which has touched 15.4 volts, as the Inverter/UPS cant differentiate the individual battery voltage while charging and discharging the batteries. The Battery Management System can correct this Tubular Lead Acid batteries imbalance. A battery management system (BMS) is critical to any Tubular lead-acid battery bank. It monitors and controls the battery’s performance, ensuring it operates within safe limits and delivers optimal performance.https://suvastika.com/what-is-battery-management-system-bms/
The main functions of a BMS for lead-acid batteries include:
- Overcharging and over-discharging protection: This is the most important function of a BMS. Overcharging can damage the battery and shorten its lifespan, while over-discharging can lead to sulfation, shortening the lifespan. The BMS monitors the battery’s voltage and current and prevents it from being overcharged or over-discharged.
- Cell balancing: Tubular Lead-acid batteries are imperfect, and each battery in a battery bank will have a slightly different voltage. This can lead to uneven discharge and premature ageing of the battery. The BMS balances each battery by equalizing the voltage between them.
- Temperature monitoring: The temperature of a battery can affect its performance and lifespan. The BMS monitors the battery’s temperature and takes steps to prevent it from overheating, such as reducing the charging current.
- Fault detection: The BMS monitors the battery for faults, such as short circuits, open circuits, and battery imbalance. The BMS will shut down the battery if a fault is detected to prevent further damage.
A BMS is an essential component of any lead-acid battery bank. It helps to ensure the battery’s safety, performance, and lifespan.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_management_system
Here are some additional benefits of using a BMS for Tubular lead-acid batteries:
- Improved battery life: A BMS can help to extend the lifespan of a lead-acid battery by preventing overcharging and over-discharging, as well as by balancing the individual battery.
- Increased safety: A BMS can help to prevent fires and explosions by preventing the battery from overheating or being overcharged.
- Improved performance: A BMS can help improve a lead-acid battery’s performance by ensuring it operates within its safe operating limits.
- Reduced maintenance: A BMS can help to reduce the need for maintenance by monitoring the battery and alerting the user to any problems.
If you are using a Tubular lead-acid battery bank, it is important to use a BMS. A BMS can help ensure your battery’s safety, performance, and lifespan. The importance of BMS in Tubular battery is very important to understand.